Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Ten Resolutions for Becoming a More Grateful Parent

It is also never too late to make, revisit or renew resolutions when it comes to parenting. I read this article in Independent School magazine and thought I would paraphrase and share some of it with you.
It was written by Madeline Levine a practicing psychologist, author, and co-founder of Challenge Success a project of the Stanford graduate School of Education.  I had the pleasure of listening to Dr. Levine at a Common Ground Speaks presentation some years back.
Dr. Levine offers Ten Resolutions for Becoming a More Grateful Parent.  I was struck by the similarities in her words and what is near and dear to our own philosophy of developing self-reliant young people:-
1.       I will not do for my child what he can do for himself.
·         This inhibits motivation and the ability to innovate
2.       I will not do for my child what she can almost do for herself.
·         At one time your child could almost walk, now she can walk.
3.       I will love the child in front of me
·         Appreciate and be thankful for your child’s unique gifts.
4.       I will not push my child to be perfect
·         Life is full of mistakes, imperfect days, and human failings. Children need to be able to feel happiness and gratitude in the face of imperfection. This builds resilience.
5.       I will make sure my child gets a full night’s sleep
·         Children need between 9 and 11 hours a night, sleep deprivations impairs concentration and compromises the ability to learn
6.       I will not confuse my needs with my child’s needs.
·         Over parenting is not healthy for parent or child
7.       I will remember that I am a parent, not a CEO.
·         Don’t’ catastrophize about grades/results, you will reap the benefits
8.       I will value my own (adult) life
·         Being a happy fulfilled parent is one of the best gifts you can give your child
9.       I will honor the importance of Playtime, Downtime, and Family Time
·         Don’t overschedule, children need down time, or “hang time” as we like to say.
1.   I will remember the success trajectory is a squiggle ≈ not a straight line
·         We know our own paths took twists and turns, life does not always go as planned.


Submitted by Colette B. Cross


No comments:

Post a Comment